Introduction to Jupyter Notebooks
This workshop will introduce you to Jupyter Notebooks, a digital tool that has exploded in popularity in recent years for those working with data.
You will learn what they are, what they do and why you might like to use them. It is an introductory set of lessons for those who are brand new, have little or no knowledge of coding and computational methods in research.
This workshop is targeted at those who are absolute beginners or ‘tech-curious’. It includes a hands-on component, using basic programming commands, but requires no previous knowledge of programming.
Licence: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0
Keywords: jupyter, Introductory, training material, CloudStor, markdown, Python, R
Resource type: Tutorial
By the end of this workshop you should be able to:
- Describe what Jupyter Notebooks are, what they do and how they work.
- Log in to CloudStor’s SWAN (Service for Web-based Analysis) and learn about other online options for using Jupyter Notebooks.
- Define and explain terms related to coding and cloud computing (jargon busting).
- Demonstrate how Jupyter Notebooks fit into the research landscape.
- Recognise and apply some basic Markdown, Python and R commands.
- Open a Jupyter Notebook, perform some basic programming tasks and save it for later.
- Participate in the research focused Jupyter Notebooks online community at signet.aarnet.edu.au
- Continue to experiment after the workshop with online tutorials
Date created: 2020-07-01
Date modified: 2022-07-19
Date published: 2022-07-19
Contributors: Mason, Ingrid